Retirement: opened a gastronomic market in a building that functioned as a presidential stable
The former stable of former president Julio Argentino Roca, also used to store the fleet of presidential vehicles until a few years ago, was converted into a gourmet gastronomic space baptized Mercado de los Carruajes, in the heart of Retirement, which today had its baptism in anticipation of the final opening next month. Grill, pasta, pizza, homemade hamburgers, crepes, craft beer, wines, Spanish tapas, sushi, empanadas, alfajores, cold meats and other fresh products will be available to visitors and tourists in the historic building restored for the occasion.
the new market, called Chelsea Market porteño, was presented today at the BA Gastronomic Capital Festival, had ten open premises where different dishes could be tried. Once fully opened, it will have 42 gastronomic spaces that will combine restaurants and fresh merchandise.
In March 2018, when the project was announced, the opening of the market had been promised in December of that year. Being a building declared as Historical Heritage there were certain delays in the restoration work and when everything seemed to suggest that it could be ready in 2020, the coronavirus pandemic once again put the project on hold.
The event was organized by the Ministry of Economic Development and Production through the Undersecretary of Gastronomic Policies. “These activities connect the residents with the neighborhood with its idiosyncrasy and create a space for family enjoyment. As a government we want to recover the downtown so that the neighbors can enjoy it again every day,” he said. the Minister of Economic Development and Production of the City, José Luis Giusti.
The new market has a particular history. There, more than 100 years ago, were the boxes of the horses that pulled the carriages of former President Roca in official acts. The special uniforms for each of the ceremonies were also kept, there was an outdoor riding arena for the animals to walk and the homes of the personnel in charge of the horses.
Rock’s stable it was commissioned in 1899 to the engineer and architect Emilio Agrelo, the same one who built the Pacific Galleriesamong other buildings. It was inaugurated in 1900 and until the 1950s it functioned as a garage for presidential vehicles, carriages and automobiles.
According to the review of Historical Heritage of the Government of the City “the building is of italian style, made of brick with a raised joint and a gallery divided into nine sections with columns”. It has a ground floor that meets through the Tres Sargentos passageway and the pilaster that forms the recess of the entrance continues with a pilaster covered by a similar Paris stone, a characteristic of the buildings of that time.
The main access was through Alem and original details of the building remain there, such as the blue tiles or the stained glass windows found on top. The lampposts of the galleries have also been preserved since the inauguration of the stable. Starting in the second half of the 20th century, the place was adopting other uses, such as a mechanical workshop or official parking lot until months before the construction project began. Carriage Market.
The empresa Athénée Group was the one who was awarded the tender for the space when the call was opened in 2017. With an investment of more than 6,500,000 dollars, the place was restored until it became the Carriage Market, with a five-year concession and a monthly fee.